Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Off you ate there now I can use the help

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
7/7/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with
What kinds of questions did you have? (I have about 10 back to you) but what did you have for me?
the boat was sitting for 2 years. had it fogged each year before winter. brought it back to start it and found it had no spark. I replace the coil the distributor the rotor and still no spark. found it it was the high-performance pickup assembly. Also called the electronic conversion kit that goes underneath the distributor. Replace that with Sierra part number 18 - 5289. then it seems to work as far as starts up but now it doesn't have any power it just idols. when I go to put a load on it it sounds like its bogging down. but when I rev the engine it seems to get into higher RPMs. and it also shakes a lot. then I checked the firing order on top of the manifold and made sure that from plug 1 that the order was correct on the distributer. the only thing I'm not sure of is where on the screw down distributor cap should be plugged number one.
Lets start with the basics first. 1. How old is the fuel?2. Have you checked compression, if yes, what are the numbers?3. Have you checked timing, and advance?
You can't go by that.
What you would need to do to find #1 is remove all the plugs. Stick your finger over the #1 plug hole. Rotate the balancer clockwise until you feel compression build against your finger. Once you feel compression, keep on turning until the hash mark on the balancer hits the 0 mark on the timing tab. After that, lift up the distributor cap and see which post on the cap the rotor is pointing to. That is the post that would be #1. And that is the only reliable way to do it.
I understand but I am at a lake and no tools and I want to make sure but my final order is right if I were to rotate according to my diagram and put it all-in-one plug / so that lines up with a red arrow on my diagram is that going to hurt the engine by rotating the plug wires on the distributor cap
also can you tell me what distributor cap I have on my engine. Model 572bpbyc
Serial number T01307854
I'm sorry but I don't understand a word you said. Can you clarify that for me?
okay what I said was I'm at a lake and I do not have any tools. so I can't do it that way. what I want to do is pull all of the plugs all the distributor cap and rotate them in the direction so that my firing order starts with the red line in my diagram that I sent you
Okay......... If thats what you want to do then what is holding you up. I dont understand.
will it hurt the engine is my question
I already explained the way to do this. There is no 2nd, or 3rd, or any other way do do any of this without tools. If you don't have the tools to do the job then i'm not sure what else to say honestly. If the firing order is off, there is a possiblity of engine damage.
Ok i did that. It is at zero. And the rotor is in the middle of two point connections. Can u help me from here. Also when I set the timing what should that be at for my engine
The rotor spins clockwise with the engine cranking. So if it is between 2 posts. With the rotor spinning clockwise the next post that it would hit would be #1, does that make sense so far?
Yes but if I have it at top dead center on cyl 1 and the harmonic balancer is at zero. Shouldn't it line up with with the rotor at position 1? Also if I knew the timing light setting then it could be at a 6 degree plus or minus or whatever the setting should be? So if u had a timing light and the engine is running what is the setting for my engine?
Shouldn't it line up with with the rotor at position 1? It would if the timing was set to 0 degrees exactly. But the distributor turns in order to set the timing. So in regards ***** ***** firing order. Whichever post is next would be #1. After that, you would start and run the engine, and set the timing to 6 to 8 degrees before top dead center with a timing light.
Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through yet so I wanted to see if you had any more questions on the issue? -Jason
ok just got back to the boat. I have a few questions that have not been answered as well. please review and answer.
lastly what is the recommended setting or degrees for the timing light on the boat engine?
Hi there.The timing spec I will dig up for you in a minute. But I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Would you please let me know which questions I missed.
Serial number T01307854
I'm sorry I don't understand. What did you want to know about the cap? You also said something earlier about having more questions. What were they?
Yes the part number of the distributor cap. And also you want to get back with me with the timing setting
The cap is part number(###) ###-#### ***** timing setting is 8 degrees before top dead center.
So is that after the center line or in front ofnit
I'm sorry I do not understand you.
I wante to know what the part number was for the whole distributer for my engine.
I see on line there are 2 engines . there is I think a 2v and another engine wit 3 letter after it TBI.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1998/572BPBYC/parts.html
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is Tan. The difference is the 2v is a carbureted engine and the TBI is the Fuel injected motor. Which motor do you have?
I have the carborator
The distributor isn't available anymore. Is there a reason you want to replace the complete distributor?
Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician