Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2000 Bayliner Capri 2350 with a mercruiser 5.7

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2000 Bayliner Capri 2350 with a mercruiser 5.7 ltr. stern drive. It runs fine until you pull a skier or tube. It runs fine the first time, but after that it sputters and sputs every time you go to increase speed. It moves a idle or low RPM. I just had the impeller replaced thinking it could be an engine heat problem, but it did not work. The engine shows no sign of overheating. Bob Althouse
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bob, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
Is this an EFI, MPI, or Carb engine? If you have the serial number that would be best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a carb 2 barrel. I do not currently have the sn.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bob. The issue is either going to be fuel starvation or ignition breakdown. Are you looking for how to test things by the book? Do it with minimal amounts of tooling? How is it I can help you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not think that it's fuel starvation. It acts like its not getting air through the carb. even though the choke in open. I am thinking maybe ignition coil heating up or poor connections in the wiring. Is there simple tests Ican do to prove or disprove this.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Ignition breakdown is one of those options. To be honest here there are tools to measure igntion coil output called KV Meters. What is done is voltage into the coil is measured with a basic volt meter, if that is good, then voltage out of the coils is measured with a kv meter. If voltage is good in but low out, the coil is at fault. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, what is the normal kv range for a good coil.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
18 to 20 thousand volts (18K to 20K) Some coils are a little hotter than others, but that is what the engine actually needs.
I have a KV meter (2 of them actually) and if I have an issue like yours what I do is hook up my KV meter and throttle up the engine to the highest rpm it can it. If I get low voltage, I replace the coil
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through yet so I wanted to see if you had any more questions on the issue? -Jason