Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 2000 7.4 GSI that is having oil pressure alarms. The

Customer Question
pressure gage at higher RPM...
I have a 2000 7.4 GSI that is having oil pressure alarms. The pressure gage at higher RPM reads in the medium high range. When slowing to idle it reads medium for a shot time then the needle begins to waver and drops to low, the oil light comes on and there is a solid beep from the dash. I have listened to the engine running during the alarm and it sounds normal. No ticking or rattles.
Last weekend while under way at 3200 RPM the gage needle began to waver and then dropped to low I then had both a solid beep and a interrupted beep. The engine still ran ok no shutdown to limp mode.
Any Ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
7/7/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** need to remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a mechanical gauge to verify oil pressure. This could be debris in the sender causing the erratic reading. You can get a mechanical oil gauge kit at your local auto parts. Install the mechanical gauge run boat what does the oil pressure read? When was the last time you had the oil changed?
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic