Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a marine 3208 that I am replacing the alternator on.

Customer Question

I have a marine 3208 that I am replacing the alternator on. The new alternator has an internal (mounted) voltage regulator. How do I bypass or incorporate the external voltage regulator? Is there a wiring diagram for this?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There were 6 wires connected to the old alternator. One was the key, two look like they go to the external regulator
(or harness). the other ones go to a solenoid cluster on the top of the engine.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** voltage regulator needs to be disconnected and completely removed from the system, the battery needs to be connected directly to the output terminal on the new alternator. There will be a voltage sensor terminal on the alternator that needs to be energized when you turn on the key.I might be able to find you a wiring diagram if you can give me the model and make of the new alternator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK so how far back do I need to disconnect the external VR? Just clip the wires going into it, and cap them, or trace them further back?
The alternator is a Wilson 90-05-9209. (Prestolite). I think the energizer wire is actually the orange wire that has a plug on it coming off the alternator.
There were serveral other wires attached to the old alternator as well. The external VR (grn & blk) and the key switch wire (yellow) which I think I understand what to do with, but there were two others that went to a solenoid as well (white or gray & blk).
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
I'll look for a wiring diagram, not sure why solenoids would be connected to an alternator.
External voltage regulators usually have markings where the wires connect, it would help to know the markings and wire colors, also the make and model of the old alternator.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Haven't found a diagram yet, I'll opt out until I do.