Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I was on a boat trip, 24' bayliner trophy, when my belt shredded.

Customer Question
We towed boat back to...
I was on a boat trip, 24' bayliner trophy, when my belt shredded. We towed boat back to shore and used main to get out of water. So the engine was starting and running with no belt. Parked boat for few weeks till today installed new belt and engine will only crank no start. Took belt off and it started, put belt on and no start again only cranks.
volvo penta 5.7l GL 300hp gas engine
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
7/6/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** belt broke? Is the engine cranking over ok? Is the pulley free on the component the belt came off?
Only has 1 serpintine belt, yes cranking freely and all pulleys except fly wheel moves freely
Ok do you hear the fuel pump come on when you key up? Have you checked for spark when the engine won't start? Could I get the complete engine model number please? 5.7GL????
It starts and runs with the belt off, fuel good, spark plugs new and sparking good.volvo penta gxi 5.7 is the correct modle number
I can't imagine anything on the front of the engine that would keep the engine from starting. Are you sure all the pullys are turning? I suspect one is not turning freely and the reason it schredded. This w might explain why the engine isn't starting it is turning over to slow due to binding. There should be a couple more letters after the GXi-??? GXi-J,F, JF, CE-MF.?
I can turn all the pulleys with 1 finger and they spin for a few moments when spun. All except the bootom one with the water pump mounted to it. It cranks the same speed with belt on and off.
I coundnt think of anything either which is why I'm here on this site.
it started and ran when belt was off 2 weeks ago, new belt on today and cranks and doesnt start. Took belt back off and it fired up twice put belt on and it just cranks. There isnt any timing for that belt right? All the pulleys spin free
Correct if you have spark and fuel it should run. The only things you have are the alternator and the power steering pump. Then idle pulley then the tensioner idler pulley. Can you take tension off the belt start the engine then put tension back on the belt. Does the engie crank at the same speed belt on belt off?
Yes same speed
I'm at a loss I can't see what the problem could be. You have spark and fuel the engine should start and run. I will opt out.
I just spoke to somebody else that has pointed me in a new direction, I appreciate your time and input. I heading back to boat now to test new theory
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is***** am another expert here. Hook your belt back up. Disoconnect the battery. Disconnect the electrical wires on the back of the alternator, and tape them up so they can not accidently short out. Hook the battery back up and attempt to start the engine. Will it start?
Just talked to a volvo guy in Washington, on my way to check the cam shaft position sensor. It is located real close to belt. Thank you for your efforts.
The cam sensor is under the distro cap.... But the CKP is down on the left rear of the timing cover. To be honest if that was unplugged or the harness to it got cut the engine wouldn't run. And the belt being on or off would not make a difference. Disconnect the alternator and let me know what happens.
Good morning, just checking in. Any progress?
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic