Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2001 Mercury 150XL, serial number OT392088, when i

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mercury 150XL, serial number OT392088, when i turn the key it doesn't kick the motor right away, it does on the second or third time/try, I was told it could be fixed while being docked and its pretty easy. I don't remember the part mentioned?
Can you share your thoughts on the part and is this something that I could do myself? Thanks!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with? Is the engine clicking each time you turn the key?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jason, My name is***** clicking, sounds like a small fan noise would be the best way to describe it, if it clicks it turns over...
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Paul,
What you need to do is to replace the solenoid. It is part 22 in this diagram. If you have a few sockets and 1/2 hour you can do this your self. Just make sure to remove the positive cable from the battery first.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/MercuryMarine/0T392088/11209/40/Solenoid%20Mounting/parts.html