Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1986 stratos 169v boat. The speedometer was not working.

Customer Question

I have a 1986 stratos 169v boat. The speedometer was not working. so I found the hose under the dash and traced it back to the engine compartment. the other end of the hose was just laying there. I cannot figure out where to hook it up to. please advise.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** speedometer hose connects to the front of the lower unit. Could I get the make, model and serial number of the engine please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it must have another connection though because the hose is way to short. 1986 stratos 169v. serial number of engine 08264687
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Make, model
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
mercury 135 horse. does the hose go through that large opening where all the engine wiring goes?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
No the tube will come up through the swivel tube usually coming out with the shift rod. # ***** is the speedo hose with a splice on the end. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/V-135/0A904646%20THRU%200C100860/Gear%20Housing%28Driveshaft%29/parts.html
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Here's a pic where the hose is routed outside the swivel housing. http://s115.photobucket.com/user/Fergie124/media/Boat/A5446A05-2CAA-46B6-9115-9993C8A88A95.jpg.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I get that but my hose stops just inside the engine compartment and I see no hose on the outside of engine.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
The hose is broken you have to add a piece. The speedometer may have never been connected. Look at the front of the lower unit where it bolts up to the driveshaft housing in the front you should see the spoeedo hose.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to know the routing of the hose from the speedo head to the engine if I could
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
It runs from the lower unit up through the swivel tube out from around the shift rod under the motor pan and then connects to the tube in the splash well. Here is an example. This is a Yamaha but it is routed the same way.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Here is where the tube will come out circled in red.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am assuming that the speedo was never hooked up because I have no hose anywhere near that. Still would like to know where it connects in the splash well though if possible
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
The white line in this pic shows the routing of the hose. It goes through the tube with the shift rod out the top where the red circle is and into the splash well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks. will have to take it to the repair shop to have that plumbed in.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
You can use a coat hanger wire to route the hose up through the tube. Connect the tube to the end of the wire and push the wire up through the tube. Now you can route the speedo tube outside coming up from the connection in the lower unit. You just have to secure the tube. It can be routed in any way you like from the lower unit up into the splash well. Routing isn't critical you just don't want the tube flopping around. If there is no tube at the front of gearcase you will have to drop the lower unit down to replace the tube. The tube could have broken off at the fitting on the lower and no one wanted to drop the lower to reattach the tube. This maybe why the tube is just in the splashwell not connected. Post back if you need further assistance. Thank you.....Tan