Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2011 mercury verado 250 hp that is used frequently…

Customer Question
I have a 2011 mercury...
I have a 2011 mercury verado 250 hp that is used frequently on my 23 BW Dauntless. in the last two weeks the steering has got increasingly difficult. i can hear gurgling/air in the line. Is there a simple fix that handy person can do or is it better to get a Mechanic? Does it damage anything if i go out on a short run before bleeding/refilling?
Thanks
dr.d.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 3 days by:
7/9/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello Dr D, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
You will need to get some Mercury steering fluid. Refill the res, on the steering pump. Start the engine and steer the engine back and forth while keeping an eye on the fluid level. If it drops add more fluid.
Once it is full, check all of the connections and the steering cylinder on the engine look for signs of a leak. When you find it, repair it and you will not lose any more fluid.