Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Motor dies when tilted up when in low speed. Motor also has

Customer Question
Motor dies when tilted up...
Motor dies when tilted up when in low speed.
Motor also has problems going in forward and reverse after first starting up, does eventually work it's way out of that problem but it bogs down when it does it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Rebuilt carbs and idled motor up
7/4/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hrllo, my name is***** wil be assisting you today. Would you please post the serial number of the engine?Tiller or remote?What is the idle RPM?
Not by motor but rpms 750 to 1000 at idle. And remote
2 Cylinder?
Yes oil injected
Great, When you shift the engine, is there a good thunk when it goes into gear?Has the engine been sitting for a bit?
Once or twice I've heard it shift. Not always and not enough to notice. No boat hasn't been setting long
Your in gear idle needs to be about 800 RPM. does the engine die when it bogs down when trimmed up?
Yes when engine is level it dies but if i work at the throttle moving it forward to neutral it does tend to work itself out and I can go after that
Is you press in on the choke will the engine continue to run?
Haven't tried but I know if I choke to long motor won't start
That is normal. I am talking about when the engine is running and about to stall, press the choke and see if the engine will stay running.
Usually have to put motor in mid to low throttle to start " neutral throdle"
Haven't tried only does all this when boats in water. Tried with the ears on and runs fine
You should be able to stat it with out advancing the throttle. Can you remove the drain screw on the carb and see what color the tip of it is.
It has two carbs
Ok check both.
Have to try when I get home when I looked at them looked like tight squez
They can be.
If there colored then what?
You would need to clean the carbs.
After they just rebuilt them no more than 30 days ago?
Yes, they may have not done them correctly.jCan you remove the fuel pump from the engine, remove the hose from the front of it, then squeeze the primer bulb to see if you get any fuel from wither the hole in the back of the pump or the nipple in the front?
Hey Charles I took boat out and I can pump choke to keep boat running at start up but only in med. To full throttle (in gear).
U think my floats need adjusted?
Ok,
Inspect the entire fuel system from the tank to the engine. Make sure that the hoses are not plugged and the fuel pump is working.
How can I check fuel pump? checked tank and lines all the way to ball pump. I don't have service Manuel any way I can get one cheap tried finding one but couldn't find one for a 1997.
Have I already had you test the fuel pump?
No
Hold it seen u wanted me to remove it. Problem is I don't know we're it is. I'm home now so I can be by engine
Ok,
remove the hose from the outside of it, then remove it from the side of the block. Leave the 2 fuel hoses attached. Use the primer bulb to see if you get any fuel out of the elbow or the back of the pump.
Pump is square and has 3 hoses going to it.
There is a large storm in my area, I am going to shut down for a bit. Have to protect the electronics.
Thank you
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic