Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have 87 AQ 131 penta outdrive, runs normal temp in a tub

Customer Question

I have 87 AQ 131 penta outdrive, runs normal temp in a tub or in neutral, but as soon as it's in gear it overheats 200-210. I've had the exchanger cleaned , new water pump , new impeller, took it in and had outdrive service. nothing worked. this motor ran great until the heating issue
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** is a connection # ***** that corrodes and allows the engine to suck air causing over heat. This connector # ***** is on the out drive where the water supply hose connects. Remove the hose from the connector and inspect the nipple then remove the connector and check the gasket and the connector for excessive corrosion. If any corrosion exists the connector can allow air into the cooling system. http://www.marinepartseurope.com/PentaPictures1000/8703.jpg Post back with questions. Let me know if that links doesn't work.