Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My boat stopped circulating water and over heated

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Which engine do you have in your boat, and what kinds of questions did you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jason, 2003 Volvo Penta 5.0 GL with 300 hrs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My name is John
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi John. If it's not pumping water the engine needs a new impeller. I don't know how much you know about these things. So does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the impeller last fall
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was working fine and then just stopped after about 20 min
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Do you have open cooling or closed cooling with a heat exchanger and thermostat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Open cooling
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
What you would want to do with the boat in the water is disconnect the hose that runs between the seawater pump and thermostat housing, start the engine up, and see if you get a lot of water flow. If you do, replace the thermostat. If not, then you would go back to inspecting the impeller. If sand or shells got in there it can shred the impeller. If that looks good, then you would pull the inlet hose off the seawater pump and backflush it with a garden hose. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I inspected the impeller yesterday and it looked good. So I will hook that up and replace the thermastat.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Did you pull the outlet hose to see if it was pumping?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I left the hose connected. Would it be better to use a tub with water other than the garden
hose
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If you can fully submerge the sterndrive in a large tube that would always be best. The garden hose force water in, so if you do have a water pump issue a garden hose can mask that. At this point you would need to pull the outlet hose off the pump and test. And if you do get good water flow then replace the thermostat. Did you have any further questions for me on the issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that sound good. One other thing that may or may not have something to do with this. when I was running the boat, before i noticed the water wasn't circulating the engine just stopped running. It never has done that before. It started right back up but right about that time is when the water quite circulating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It could have been a coincident, but like I said it has never just stopped running.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If the engine was overheating, or getting close to it. They can stall. So I would sat was probably related to the hot running. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Thank youJason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jason, I will try your suggestions.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Feel free to post back if it still gives you problems. Best,Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, how do I get the thermostat out of the housing?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the actual housing off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, I can see how it comes out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I meant I can't see how it comes out.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I dont' follow you. Do you need help removing the thermostat cover, or is the cover off and the thermostat exposed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ya it is up inside the top of the housing. do I just remove the o ring gasket and it will come out?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Oh, just grab the top of it with pair of pliers and give it a rip, it will come out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH, ok I will give that a try
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
your welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jason, I think I am getting closer. Water is not being drawn from the drive unit. I can hook up the hose to fresh water flush and it works fine.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If you put the boat in the water, and remove the inlet hose from the seawater pump, will water rush out of the hose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the drive lowered into a tube, not sure if that's deep enough to force water up that far.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The boat would have to be in the water for this. It's the weight/displacement of hull pushing against the water that forces the water up and in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any other suggestions to simulate or test this?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Not at this time. Just install a new thermostat, go float the boat, and see what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put a new thermostat in. Does the fresh water pump with the impeller create suction?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Not a lot of suction, maybe just 1 or 2 inches of mercury, but that's about it.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, just checking in. Any progress?