Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 95 200hp mercury xri that i get a continuous beep…

Customer Question
I have a 95 200hp...
I have a 95 200hp mercury xri that i get a continuous beep beep beep that I believe is the overheat alarm I rebuilt the water pump, checked the thermostats, and also replaced the poppet valve (there was water coming out of the weep hole). I ran the boat on muffs at the house and everything checked out besides the water being a little warm coming from the tell tale. went to the lake and ran about a mile and the overheat alarm came back on, gauge read 160 so i got a tow back to the dock and brought it home. I've taken the lower end off and run a garden hose to the water intake to make sure water runs through the block and there isn't any obstruction. Now when I start the boat there is a continuos overheat alarm even after sitting overnight in the garage. The water from the tell tale at idle is off and on and very warm.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
7/3/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, My name is***** will be assisting you today. This alarm is a beeeping tone and not a solid tone? Is that correct?
yes, It was a continuous beep but now it is a fast beeping tone, after looking at the oil reservoir on the motor i think i need to bleed the air out of the system it is a little low
The beeping alarm is for a few things. the oil tank is one of them. Do you now how to bleed the system?
Yes I'm pulling the boat out now
You can do it with the engine running either on the hose or in the water.
Ok i took the oil cap off and was running the motor and the alarm went off with the float in the down position. when i move the float up, the alarm goes off again
did the tank ever fill up?Try this, turn the key on, remove the cap from the tank, the alarm should sound. When it does, move he float back to the top of the shaft, after a few, the alarm should stop.
the tank filled up but the alarm sounds after the float is up, if i hold the float down the alarm turns off after a few seconds and immediately comes back on if the float is raised
Do you have the cap upside down?
no
The alarm is supposed to start when the float goes down toward the open end of the shaft. The alrm is suposed to stop when the alarm goes to the top of the shaft near the cap threads.
correct, it's doing the opposite
Have you replaced it recently?
no, i have not
Ok, Follow the wires from the float the the connectors. Make sure that the blue goes to the blue and the black goes to the engine block.
They do
You just have a bad float. Replace that and the alarm will stop going off.
Any ideas on the overheating? Running on muffs the cylinder heads are too hot to touch and water from telltale is also very hot
When you last did the impeller, did you also do the gaskets and install a slinger ring on the outside of the water pump housing?
Yes and a new upper housing
Did you replace the t-stats?
No, I removed and inspected them. Then tested in hot water to make sure the opened, they opened up at about 145
Ok, Do you have a water pressure gauge?
I do not
For the engine that is. It would be on the dash.
There isn't one
Ok. Are you still getting the solid alarm when in the water?
At wot after about mile, on muffs it doesn't go off but the telltale and heads get too hot to touch
how do the spark plugs look?
plugs look good, a little carbon and oil but very minimal, plugs are new this season
Is any one plug whiter than the others?
Piston is fried on #1
The piston is bad?
Yes
How did you notice that?
Did a compression test 120 on all cylinders but one, removed head hoping for a blown head gasket, head and piston are damaged with light scoring on cylinder wall
Ouch. That could have happened due to it overheating. Are you planning on rebuilding the engine?
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic