Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Do you know much about Volvo penta gas 5.7 V8 Hit a sand bar and now the boat is over heat

Customer Question

Do you know much about Volvo penta gas 5.7 V8 Hit a sand bar and now the boat is over heating
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Can I get the model number on the engine please.
Have you checked the output from the seawater pump yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** V8 ucHow should I check the output ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6002FMO
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Colin. There is a hose that runs between the seawater pump and the heat exchanger. Remove the hose at the exchanger and aim it into a 5 gallon bucket. Start the engine up and run it for about 15 seconds at 1000 rpms and then shut the engine down. The question is how much water do you get in that bucket. A gallon, 2 gallons ect. Do you think you can do that and get back to me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have the thing to run it in the yard just testing in the lake 5 mins away. Any other way to test in the water ? same thing ?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunatley there is no other way to test this but with the boat in the water. Do you think you can do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I took it to the lake 4g or so in the bucket so pump is fine I did notice the needle on the oil gage was bouncing a bit around 35 40 Psi
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Colin. There is a hose on the outlet side of the heat exchanger that goes up to a t fitting and feeds both exhaust risers. The next step is to pull that hose, start the engine up for a moment, and see if you get good flow out of that. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi JasonI did that and good flow also when running it was running pulled the exhaust plugs and also lots of water. Could it have something to do with the oil PSI middle bouncing.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Possible. Have you checked the temperature of the thermostat housing manually or with an IR temp gun to see if the engine is actually overheating? Are you getting an alarm. Or does the temp gauge just read high?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im getting the alarm at 190 and yes for sure it is overheating.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Is it overheating at idle/low speed. All speeds, or only high speed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all speeds
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Are the tops of the exhaust risers real hot?