Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1987 Johnson 175 that will not accelerate on the water.

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Johnson 175 that will not accelerate on the water. If the oil alarm is beeping, does that prevent the motor from revving up? What does the beeping mean?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** depends on the beep. The long constant is over heat or fuel starvation. The intermittent every 30 seconds is low oil and the 1/2 on 1/2 off real fast is no oil warning. The speed isn't limited on thios model. Whch alarm are you hearing? If you have the no oil alarm go to the oil tank in the boat squeeze the primer bulb does the alarm stop? Let engine run does the alarm come back? We need to do a spark and compression test. The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester. The compression must be 80+ psi with no more than 15% difference between cylinders. Post back with questions and findings.