Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Jeremy,I have a 2004 Yamaha 1200XLT Waverunner. The oil line…

Customer Question
Jeremy, I have a 2004 Yamaha...
Jeremy,
I have a 2004 Yamaha 1200XLT Waverunner. The oil line came off the front cylinder and it was run for less than 30 minutes that way.
It was diagnosed that the piston rings are bad and the cylinder needs honed. Cost $750-$900.
I cannot afford that and want to attempt to repair myself. I was an auto mechanic 25 years ago and still have some knowledge. It was definitely easier working over the fender of a car than reaching over the hulls of this jet ski.
What would be the easiest repair for this type of diagnosis?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
6/29/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Hi there,
Sorry for the delay.
So you'll get most of this which will make this repair far easier for you than most.
First thing to do is verify the failure.
Do a compression test on all 3 cylinders.
Once you verify you have one dead cylinder.
Start taking it apart.
You'll have to remove the exhaust pipe, cylinder head, and cylinder.
The cylinder can only be honed if it is not really damaged at all.
It's a plated cylinder so you can't just bore it, hone it, and get a bigger piston.
You will need to make that call when you get it apart to see how bad it is.
The cheapest thing to do if it's bad then is to just buy a new/used one on ebay.
You can get them with a piston for 3-400 dollars.
Make sure you get new gaskets and put it back together.
Use some assembly lube on the piston when you put the cylinder back on it.
Jeremy,
I just want to clarify a couple things, you said "The cylinder can only be honed if it is not really damaged at all, It's a plated cylinder so you can't just bore it, hone it, and get a bigger piston."
So can the cylinder be honed or not? Will I need to buy an entire new cylinder/jug?
How do I remove the exhaust pipe? Cylinder Head? Cylinder? Time to do this?
i was looking for detailed information on the removal of the cylinder head. Is that what you give?
Sure,
The cylinder is plated so honing it to take out and gouges won't work.
the only thing you can do with a hone on a plated cylinder is add some crosshatch marks to seat in a new set of rings.
If you find your rings are junk but the cylinder walls are still in good shape then by all means do hone it.
If the walls are damaged. It's junk. It's just as expensive to send it off to be replated as it is to get another one.
You pretty much start on the head and work your way down.
There are brackets bolted to the head that holds the pipe.
Remove those.
You'll need a ratcheting wrench to get the bolts out of the exhaust manifold.
Take apart the large pipe section that wraps around the engine.
Only remove the manifold bolts from the one cylinder you're removing.
Tap it with a mallet to break the glue from the base gasket and pull it up.
There are wire circlips holding in the wrist pin of the piston.
Put a rag around the rod under the piston so nothing falls down in the crankcase.
The wrist pin can be driven out with a drift and a hammer if you support the opposite side of the piston.
If you have any questions feel free to ask at any time.
I'll be glad to help.