Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I just bought a 2003 chap/200ssi with 200hrs Wouldnt

Customer Question

I just bought a 2003 chap/200ssi with 200hrs
Wouldnt start first try. Two new batteries a d fired up. Ran couple hours that night. Next morning ran couple more hours. Started and noticed it sluggish, looked At meter looked like 10 amps? Changed out alternator and now in only clicks when trying to start? Have checked every connection! Ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Do you have a hand held volt meter and do you know how to take basic voltage measurments?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
12.6v @ starter
And I can hear and feel it clicking in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jason,
My name is Steve
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve. What you want to do is check voltage at the starter with the key held to start and the circuit loaded. Are you near the boat now to check this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did and it was 12.6 on or off?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
When you say on... was the key turned to RUN, or was it turned to START?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put the meter on a d read 12.6 asked someone to start and still 12.6?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can try again but need help with the key?
Cant reach. Lol
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Could you hear the starter clicking when doing the measurement? The reason I say this is I would expect the voltage to actually be a little lower.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes,
Its clicking on and off. And I can feel it puling in and out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a permissive in the curcuit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by a permissive. Are you near the boat now for 1 more test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its out side, what test? Its only me. I cant reach the key and test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A permissive is a permission to run.
I am an Industrial electrician and thats our lingo sorry,
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I wanted to check the integrity of the ground cable via a voltage drop test. If your an electrician then you will know what I mean. Set your meter up so positive is on the battery negative terminal. And so that meter negative is on the stud where the negative battery cable connects at the engine. Have a helper turn the key to start. You will always show some voltage drop, but ideally it would be under 1/2 a volt. If you get more than say a 1.5 volt drop that is enough to cause the starter to starve for voltage. If the negative cable looks good, and shows minimal drop, then the problem would be a bad starter and that is the only thing it can be. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes,
It might be a bit until I can get help.
Is there a way to get in touch with you when I have help?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You can post right back here just like you have been. To get here, log into justanswer.com and then in the upper right will be a tab that says "my questions". Just click on that to get back to me here. Was there anything else on the issue at the moment? -Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just that my boat wont start and I don't have an answer yet? Still need your help until it starts?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The answer is either a bad ground or a bad starter. You are going to check the ground first, and if that's not it, the starter would be bad. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, just checking in. Any luck?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon. Just checking in. Did you still need help with the issue?