Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Tan I have a mercruiser 5.0 l efi on a crownline that is…

Customer Question
hi tan I have a...
hi tan I have a mercruiser 5.0 l efi on a crownline that is running rough just changed the wires and distributor cap
I hear a rap and I cant tell how much oil is in the engine. will no oil make it run rough
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/28/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello.Yes the lifters will collapse and you will hear valve train noise. Do you show oil pressure? Did you replace the wires one at a time? Is it possible you got some wires crossed? The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 it real easy to get 5 and 7 mixed up.
I changed them one at a time. the distributor cap is way in the back. can I shoot the timing gun on the front of the engine? then how do I get it in time do I move the cap as its running
Correct turn the distributor. Now there is a timing procedure for this engine I will need the engine serial number please?
0moo3408
You need to have a scan tool or the timing tool to set the timing on this engine. We can do a jumper if you don't have the scan or timing tool. Do you know where the DLC(data link connector) is located on this engine? It will be close to the ECM with a cap on it.
is this the piece on the wiring harness the has a plug with a loop on the end? if it is I removed it do to melting and just put a wirer connection in its place
ill try it. but what if I can't get it to ide? is it safe to do this before I get an accurate oil level? if I have oil pressure, can I assume that I have oil in the block? where does the oil tube enter the block? Is the nut brass? easy to get to?
The engine has to idle correctly to set timing. If the engine won't idle then you have a bad IAC (idle air control). If you crack the throttle open a little will the engine run? The dipstick goes into the oil pan through a small hole in the block just above the oil pan. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/5.0L%20EFI%20-%20%28GM%20305CID%20V8%29/0L340000%20THRU%200M299999%20%281999-2001%29/Oil%20Pan%20And%20Oil%20Pump/parts.html
if I crack the throttle open a little yes it will stay running. but wants to quit. I have to keep giving it more gas to keep it running
is it a brass nut on the oil dip stick tube? it shouldn't be to bad to get out would you say?
are all of these engines standard rotation I have twin engines on my crownline and this engine is the starboard engine
Yes the rotation is changed in the drive. The engines are standard rotation left hand.
where can I buy the software to diagnose these engines like you mechanics have? its just a laptop with special plugs and software?
are these oil tubes hard to remove?
Here is a link to get the software. You might have to go to Mercruiser to get the software also. I use Mercruiser software with their scan tool. http://www.rinda.com/ This company makes allot of the equipment for Mercruiser. If they are broken off flush with the engine block yes. Use some heat if any of the tube is sticking up. The biggest problem is access.
ok . your a very smart guy. I am an expert with oil fired eating systems. How do I work for your company part time?
can I request you the next time I sign on?
Yes you can. Just ask for me or post my name in the question I will get the question. Go to the original page when you first started and you can apply their. They have many categories. Go to the bottom of this page and go to How to become an expert. http://www.justanswer.com/HomePageIntegration.aspx# ***** back if you need further assistance. Thank you....Tan
thank you
Your welcome.............Thank you......Tan Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get credit for helping you...Thank you........Tan