Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1985 mercury outboard that won't idle. It runs good

Customer Question

I have a 1985 mercury outboard that won't idle. It runs good at higher rpms but wen I want to shift it into gear it always stalls. Everything with the ignition system seems to test ok and the carbs have been cleaned and nuthing seems to help. Any tips?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Would you please post the serial number of the engine?Does squeezing the primer bulb over and over help the engine idle?What are your idle RPM?How were the carbs cleaned?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I don't have the serial # ***** me and I'm not by the boat... It's a 4 cylinder mercury year model 1985. I don't know the exact idle rpms but if I have the idle set low enuf that it won't bang going into gear it will always die. Sometimes I think squeezing the ball helps a bit and other times it don't deem to. I should mention the shop I have it at also did a compression test and it passed.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
So the boat is in the shop currently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and the tech is ready to give up he says all the tests he has done have passed and he is pulling his hair out. He is going to put in a new cdi box now just to see if that will do it but he don't have much hope because he said as far as he could tell the old one was working. So I thought maybe you would have some ideas we could try
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Sure. What HP is the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
80hp
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
So at idle it will stall hen you shift it, unless you have the RPM high? Is that correct?Do you know what all has been done besides compression test and the carbs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is correct. He said he had also checked the spark and he said it all seemed good...
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
This is your carb? I am just making sure that I am looknig at the correct diagrams http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/1985/1075625/CARBURETOR%20ASSEMBLY/parts.html