K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

I have an Alpha one drive that goes into reverse but not

Customer Question

I have an Alpha one drive that goes into reverse but not forward. We tried shifting it manually with the lower cable and got the same result. Any tips?
Thanks, Jeff
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, at the drive end of the lower shift cable there is a slider that extends into a cavity in the leg. In the other direction, it extends into a cavity in the bell where the drive bolts on. One or both of these cavities is likely full of salt crystals stopping the cable from traveling all the way into the cavity. You will need to remove the drive to check and clean it out.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Number 31 in this diagram is the slider I refer to.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercruiser/1989/5010132BS/TRANSOM%20PLATE%20AND%20SHIFT%20CABLE/parts.html
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Have you given up on this service or do you have more questions?