Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2001 aluma craft 165 navigator, can the wiring & gauges be

Customer Question

2001 aluma craft 165 navigator, can the wiring & gauges be up graded with 2015 165 classic wiring and gauges. I spent $700 last year to find problems with electrical and it still does not work.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** any boat can be upgraded. What seems to be the issue you are having that they can't fix?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bilage pump, airator start randomly by them selves, when I try to turn them on have to turn them on and off several times to get them to work. Trim & tilt goes dead , no speedometer, random no power to motor. Same problems Ihad one year ago after spending $700 at Aluma craft dealer
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
When you have intermittent power to all accessories it is the power supply or the ground. Some boat use a cheap inline fuse on the power supply to the accessories. The fuse holder has actual steel parts that are poor conductors. When you have voltage loss wiggle the fuse holder at the battery. If power comes and goes replace fuse holder. The other place is the ground find the common ground it can be a fuse panel with spade connectors. These type fuse panels are suspect also. Then the last place is the accessory boat harness does it have any push together plugs? If yes cut these out and connect the wires together with heat shrink butt connectors. Intermittent power is corrosion in the connections. Do you know what type fuse panel you have? Do you have the plastic push together connectors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have the plastic push fuses. Outage on components does not happen on all of them at one time. They go off randomly individually
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
That is still a power supply or ground issue. The push type fuse holders are bad about corrosion. I have had to replace the complete fuse panels to eliminate. It is not likely that each individual component will have the same symptom. So you have to find the common in all the components which is the fuse panel and ground. Most mechanics don't think a fuse panel can go bad so they don't replace them. Think of it this way. What makes the components work voltage which they all have in common. They all have a switch in common by individual switches. So not all switches are going to have the same symptom. Here again what is common to all components the fuel panel and ground. Now I'm not sure of your panel but do the ground from all the accessories connect to the panel also?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know, I will have to check. I have the boat in storage can' check at this time.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok we can figure this out. I have rewired many boats and found many electrical issues on boats. So I know what to look for after 40 years in the boating industry. Post back when you can and we can work it out. Changing pout everything will get very expensive especially if the person doing the work hasn't the experience.