Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1996 seadoo xp with no spark. I have two beeps when…

Customer Question
I have a 1996 seadoo...
I have a 1996 seadoo xp with no spark. I have two beeps when connecting DESS key. Have replaced the starter. All fuses front and back are okay. One thing I have noticed is the white wire to the coil is grounded out. If I test light it to the battery positive on battery and probe white wire it lights up. Is this normal? I have tested pick up. Got 242 ohms. Replaced rear ignition box with new coil and wires. Took off mag cover and everything looked good. And mounted correctly. Checked all grounds. (Starter and black one on coil to battery) all looks okay. Can't figure it out. Anything I am missing? Two skis. Same problem.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
I bought the pair of 96 xps on Craigslist. We're said to be running with a battery replacement. Got home. New battery for each. And would barely turn over. Starters were weak. Ordered new starters. Installed them. Turns over very well. No start. Dug deeper. Pulled rear electrical box in each. One was full of water. Coil had a split down the middle of it. Ordered a new rear electrical box. (eBay) installed. Checked spark. None. Google became my best friend. Reading. Reading. Checking. Everything seems to check out good. Not to sure I'm exactly how to test mpem. But I get two beeps when connecting lanyard. No pulse to white wire to coil. No voltage at all actually. Doesn't matter if I'm cranking. Or no key. Key. No voltage to white coil wire. It's actually grounded. I took a test light and clipped it to positive terminal and probed the white wire on coil. Lite up like white wire was also a ground. Doesn't seem correct to me if it is suppose to pulse current it can't be a ground. I have two skis. Both do the same thing.
Answered in 1 day by:
6/29/2015
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
It sounds like you may run into multiple problems with these two pwc, with that said I feel an seadoo service manual would suit you best and I am going to send over an additional offer for that as well which you are not obligated to accept that offer if you do not wish, we can still continue here just as well.
In terms of the problem you are having next you would need to check the pulse coil within the mag cover which is accessed by removing the mag cover. Check if it is just hanging and or further damage inside there. You will also want to trace down grounds. Yes I do see where you stated you removed the cover and everything "looked" ok, but you still want to inspect that pulse coil which is a common failure.
You would then check the output and if good you would want to check all grounds and trace the harnesses also checking the pins on the mpem and no shorted connections or corrosion, once you eliminate everything down to the mpem then you would confirm if the mpem were the problem.
The problems you have described could suggest major problems with these seadoos and it may require someone in person to look at them.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Okay. Let's do this. Step by step. Test the pulsar? I ohmed it out. 242 ohms. What other test would I need to do?
I have also ordered another pick up coil. It will be here today. Even if it just goes to the spare bin, so be it. I have years of mechanical experience. And electrical experience. Including a technical school certificate in diesel mechanics. I also have the service manual already. Two of them. I have read and familiarized with the pwc. And am ready to tackle it head on. Just need a little guidance.
I have the mag cover off and ready for any tests you may be able to guide me in. I tested three yellow wires (stator) and they are all powered with 12.5 volts. I then put multimeter to black wire from pulsar and it showed ground. I then probed white wire and hand turned the motor and have no response of anything. Negative or positive. How would I test it correctly.
Sorry for the delay.
You should test the yellow/white input to the cdi box from the trigger coil/pulse coil that is within the mag, this is the impulse to the cdi and should show such with engine turning under starter, the red/purple should have 12v + power to the cdi box, both blacks as grounds, your grey/white is rpm output to mpem, this will tell you through testing if your cdi is good or bad. Also check that mag spins with engine cranking to assure key has not sheered, remembering that even if turning it could be twisted throwing the timing way off as well.
The trigger coil has a known problem on the 800/787 engines with breaking loose from it's mount..... if cdi does not receive impulse signal from the trigger coil then it will not put out signal (white wire) to the coil. Trigger coil can be tested via voltmeter and cranking over the engine, so long as engine spins fast enough you will see it on the meter. If not and ground is good then it is usually bad, if it is good and you have impulse signal but nothing out of cdi then test cdi as above and replace if needed. Same is said for the mpem.
Thanks,
Joe
I am currently back at work from my lunch break. I get off at six. And I will let you know the test results. I have the manual all printed out. And have been reading over that for the last few days. I ordered a ignition bombardier tester. It should also be here today. Tonight we will know something for sure. I'll get back to you at six and we will go from there. Thanks.
No problem, you should be able to pinpoint the problem with just the tests I provided as only a simple voltmeter is required for now. Those tests will tell you if the problem is the wiring, trigger/pulse coil, cdi, or mpem itself.
Thanks,
Joe