Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a fountain 24 cs with a 454 mag. I just purchased the

Customer Question
boat. I checked the oil...
I have a fountain 24 cs with a 454 mag. I just purchased the boat. I checked the oil before I used it. the oil was the cleanest oil I have ever seen. I replaced the impeller in the raw water pump ran it on the hose to make sure everything was flowing right. when I launched the boat today. It sounded great. everything appeared to be in working order. I left the ramp and when I got through to no wake zone I gave the gas and it was a complete dog. after a great struggle it got on plane. I ran it wide open and it ran approximately 45 mph. I back off of it and I noticed a smell of burning oil. i was approximately ten mins into the ride. I shut it down and opened the hatch and that's when I discovered water in the oil. it had been spraying out of the vent tubes that come from the valve covers and it appeared to be coming a little out of the dip stick. the motor was boiling and I mean you could hear it. I pulled the dip stick out and it was water in the oil. I let it cool down and drove it back. it still ran and still sounded great. I know it's wasted and now I think this problem has happened before. I am that guy that bought a boat off of ebay. I sent a transport service to pick it up so I did not see the boat before I bought it. i think it may have a cracked head or blown head gasket. I was wondering about your thought on this situation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
6/28/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** you get any kind of alarm or indication of over heat? Has the boat been in a climate where the engine could have been exposed to freezing weather? I would start with a compression test.
Yes the boat came from Denver. No alarm and the temp gage never got over 190
Ok I would do a compression test. It is possible you have a cracked engine block. The engine running good at idle still indicates it isn't a head gasket or head. The engine would be getting water into the cylinders. If the engine wasn't winterized correctly it could freeze and crack. The engine not over heating also leads to no blown head gasket. When you blow a head gasket you will get exhaust gases into the cooling system causing over heat. Look under the exhaust manifolds along the side of the engine block do you see rust or water running out the side of the engine? The oil coming out the breather tells me the water is coming in real fast and under pressure. Again if you were getting that much water in due to a blown head gasket the engine would be running poorly and would hydro lock from water in the cylinders. So all the symptoms point to a cracked engine block. Only one other possibility not common is a blown intake gasket around the water passage in the intake manifold. I realize that is easier said than done on this boat.
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic