Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Jason, I have a brand new boat with twin Volvo Pentas. On

Customer Question

Hi Jason, I have a brand new boat with twin Volvo Pentas. On the port side engine the warning light says battery voltage low and low voltage to steering actuator. It has gone into EPM and won't go over 3000 rpm
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to help with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still waiting for a response. Do you know how long it will take
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
My apologies that no one has replied to you sooner.
The most common causes of this are a bad battery, connections or charging system not charging. Start by having that engines battery/batteries load tested and replace if any fail the test. Next with engine running connect a voltmeter to battery and check voltage which should be around 14v dc and if not go directly to alternator power out (the large cable at the alternator) and check voltage, if low say below 13v dc this means the system is not charging. Static battery voltage is around 12.6, anything below 13 and it's pretty much not charging, in this case check connections and grounds, I would need the engine model number to check if there is an exciter wire to test or if the alternator is directly culprit at this point and requiring replacement.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.