Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Mercury 2.5l XRI motor 175hp every time I type in

Customer Question

I have a Mercury 2.5l XRI motor 175hp every time I type in the serial number it says I have a 150hp I need to order a starter the serial number is *****
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when try go to start the motor it acts like a bending issue but not sure if boat motors have one. Plus when I throttle down the bow comes and the motor bogs down I have to baby the motor to get it up on plane.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** 150 and 175 use the same starter. P/N 79472 Now to determine if you have a starter issue we need to do some voltage tests. Test the voltage at the starter when cranking. What is your voltage reading? Now according to you serial number the engine is a 2.0 l motor and is categorized 135/150/175/200 XR6 MagnumIII
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It goes from 11.8 to 8.4
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok thats not enough voltage check all you battery cable connections be sure they are clean and tight. Then test the voltage at the battery cable connection when cranking. This time connect the black test lead directly to the battery. What is you voltage reading?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All connection are tight 11.8 and drops to 9.87 when cranking at the battery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
You should have 12+ volts. 11.8 indicates a battery issue it is a 12 volt battery. Test the voltage at the battery directly. Then test when cranking. Red test lead pos post and black lead neg post ? What are both readings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is how I tested the battery is at 11.8 it cranks over good then sometime when the motor doesn't start right up there is nothing. Turn the key back on and then it cranks over sometime it cranks over sometime it won't but when it cranks over it cranks fine.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
You have a weak battery for one thing. 12 volts is what the battery should read with no load. A good battery will read 12.3+ volts. Now you are going to loose some voltage at the starter due to the cables. The starter must have 9.5+ volt to function correctly. How old is the battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 year I was told I just bought the boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok long term use of a weak battery will damage a starter. Now I would have the battery tested at a auto parts store. If the battery tests good then you have a failing starter. I suspect the battery is bad. Look on the battery for a date code. It will be a letter and a number. This is usually on a round sticker on the battery. Post back with that code and I can tell you how old the battery is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can take the battery in and have it tested if the battery checks out ok is it best to replace the starter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this help
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
We need to verify the battery is good before we can test the rest of the start circuit. You could have another issue but we need a good battery to be sure of our voltage readings. The readings you are getting just tell me we have a low voltage issue at this point. With a weak battery it will give us incorrect readings on all the other start circuit components. You could have cable issues or a solenoid issue. The battery is key to the test and must be a good battery. The images don't show the sticker it will be on the side of the battery.Now the first thing I see is a deep cycle battery should never be used as a cranking battery. So the battery is wrong. The deep cycle battery will get a memory and fail from repeated charging. The deep cycle battery is designed to be run way down then brought back up to charge. As in the meaning deep cycle. What leads me to believe the battery is the 11.8 volts on a 12 volt battery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will go to the parts store and get a new battery and go from there
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok just let me know when you are ready to check the other components if it is still has an issue.