Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Jason I have a 40hp Tohatsu tiller have moved controls forward

Customer Question

Hi Jason I have a 40hp Tohatsu tiller have moved controls forward have control box and gauges set up front on 4.1 tinnie every thing except the trim gauge is connected where do I install sender how do I connect to gauge which is up front have both sender and loom the tilt is working now but but not the trim guage
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
The sender fits on the clamp bracket under the powerhead with the cord for the sender going through a hole in the starboard clamp bracket. The trim gauge wires should just plug right in to the wire harness from the trim sender, they are color coded.http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Tohatsu/Outboard/2007/MD40B/BRACKET%20%282%29%20POWER%20TRIM%20&%20TILT%20%28NEW%29/parts.html #60 shows the trim sender and where it goes.I do have a question as to why you want a trim sender. They are very bad about breaking and really should be unnecessary. You should be trimming the boat for the best ride and cruise using the tachometer and the ride quality. Both of which will vary depending on the water conditions. For a small outboard I would rather have a water pressure gauge or voltmeter than a trim gauge. In all the years I was a Tohatsu dealer I never sold a trim gauge as an accessory.Let me know if you need further information. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jeff
I never thought of water pressure or voltmeter but have the trim gauge I have another 4.75 m tinnie which was fitted up the same way by a pro so I guess just followed suit on this boat my son has it about 200 klms away so cant use it to copy from. The only time I used the trim gauge was when the motor kept dropping while under way and trim kept changing until local mechanic serviced and tightened screw on motor. So if I get this right the sender connects to gauge and not to control box is that right? Regards Ben
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
Correct the only place anything is interconnected is the battery voltage.