Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My mercruiser will not start. Thought it was the mechanical

Customer Question

my mercruiser will not start. Thought it was the mechanical fuel pump so I chenged it but still wont start. If I pout gas in carb, it will start but only runs a minute or two
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
What is the serial number on the engine you are working on? Are you near the engine now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My name is Joe.

It is an older mercruiser 140hp. not near it now

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried dropping a fuel line in a can of gas and seeing if it will draw from a gas can?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did.

A590452 is serial #

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

And will it draw from a gas can?

Do you have the tools to check fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have tools to check pressure. Don't know if it will draw from gas can, do you mean the line connected to fuel pump that goes to gas tank? Disconnect from gas tank and drop in a gas can??

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Yes correct. Just stick the fuel line either in a can of gas, or get another tank like an outboard style tank. Have you tried a separate tank yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i havent. what would this prove?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It would prove as to wether it was a fuel tank issue, or an engine issue. You did replace the pump so assuming the pump is actually good. If there is a tank issue it would be either clogged up, bad antisiphon valve if equipped, a clogged tank vent, or some kind of air leak issue. However if it does the same thing on the portable tank, then that would point to an engine issue, with the most likely culprit being a sticking float in the carb not allowing new fuel in. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does. I have carb open and floats seem to be fine, but i don't know. It did this while in a no wake zone headed back in and just shut down.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I understand. Running on another fuel supply is the test you would need to do. Did you have any further questions to me on the issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess not until I try the alternate fuel supply

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Post back if you have any further questions on this. If none, I thank you in advance for your excellent ratings.Best,Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Good morning, just checking in. Any luck?