Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2014 Formula 350cbr with twin Mercruiser 8.1 I/Os.

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Formula 350cbr with twin Mercruiser 8.1 I/Os. A few days ago Starboard engine cut out while at cruising speed and won't restart. It cranks fine, sounds like it's not getting any gas. I was low on fuel after the engine stalled. I made it the fueld pump on the port engine and added 153 gallons to a 162 gallon tank. I've tried 10 or so times but the starboard engine won't startup. Port engine runs fine and never lost fuel. Any ideas what I should try?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Does the engine show any fuel pressure? Will it start or hit with starting fluid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't tried checking fuel pressure on Starboard engine. Engines are fuel injected so I don't know how to use starting fluid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BTW, my name is Jon
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jon, These are fairly complicated high performance issues, and they do require tools to troubleshoot. What kinds of questions did you have and what were you looking to do here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a way to use starting fluid on fuel injected engines? If yes, how do I do this?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Yes, just remove the spark arrestor and spray it down the throttle body as somebody cranks the engine over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I'll give that a try.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Okay let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any idea if there is a fuel strainer on a met cruiser 8.1 that I could add gas to to help reprime system?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
There is a strainer but it's not something you would add fuel to manually.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Is the spark arrestor something I can find in the met cruiser engine manual so I know where to find it? Any clues what to look for?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It's like the engines air filter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's helpful. Thanks. I'll buy some starting fluid then spray into air filter intake while someone cranks the engine and cross my fingers hoping it starts up
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
This is just a troubleshooting step. Let me know what happens.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, just checking in. Any luck?