Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Jeff I a Bill. I have a 1996 Johnson 40HP that has power

Customer Question

Hi Jeff I a Bill. I have a 1996 Johnson 40HP that has power trim and tilt. It is disconnected and the wiring is in the engine compartment. I would like to get a look at how it is wired and how the control for it is in the tiller handle. I am very mechanical but not familiar with boat motors. Thanks.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
OK, do you know if the relays are on the engine? Do you have a large wire coming from the trim motor up into the engine cowling? The reason I ask this is you should have a tilt assist cylinder, not power trim. Is there a handle on the starboard side of the clamp bracket, it would be about3" long and black.BTW your engine is a 1997