K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

I have a 5.7 mercruiser 350 which was installed in 1990,

Customer Question

I have a 5.7 mercruiser 350 cid which was installed in 1990, Have manuals for 260MR and 260R, are these the correct manuals? Thanks Roger
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Roger my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
Do you have an actual part number listed at the bottom of your manual. From that I can tell you if it is the right one or not. Or, I can give you the part number of the correct manual. Whichever works for you.
Next, did you need a picture of the firing order, am I reading you correctly there?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Roger, it looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you try to send a response back as I did not receive one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not intend to log off, I think I was asked for my user name and password ***** could not respond to as did not know. Anyway, yes I really just want to know the correct firing order if that tells me correct attachment of each wire from distributor to spark plugs. Not sure if I switched two wires at the distributor, seems to run fine either way but have not had on the water to open it up. Again the manuals I have, if I read them correctly show a very different wiring pattern than currently connected??
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Got it. The correct service manual for your engine is service manual 15. Is that the manual you are looking at?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two operation and maintenance manuals, one is for model 260R..part number at right bottom of cover page is 90-42239 1-783; the other is for model 260 MR, number is ***** (684). Actually both show the same wiring diagrams and firing order, and again...very different from the configuration currently attached between distributor and spark plugs????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess the most helpful would be to send me the correct firing order and correct distributor wiring diagram order, are they the same thing, shown in different parts of my manuals and don't seem to agree?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The correct manual for your engine is going to be 90‑816463, which is also known as service manual 15 I'm attaching a picture to this reply, the picture will show the correct firing order. Did you have any further questions on the issue, or does that cover it for you? -Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the firing order tell me exactly which wires go from the distributor to each spark plug, If answer is yes I should be all set.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is the same firing order as in my manuals. Again just want to make sure I should use that as a guide for attaching the wires??
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
No, that all depends on how the distributor is installed. And it can be installed any way the person who installs it wishes to put it in.The way to figure this out is to remove all the spark plugs, and then rotate the engine by hand while holding your finger over the #1 spark plug hole, which is the front right. What you want to do is turn the balancer clockwise until you feel compression building up against your finger. When you do feel compression, keep turning the balancer until the line on the balancer lines up with the 0 degree mark on the timing tab just above it. That is step 1, before I get to step 2 does that part make sense so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess but a lot of work, think I will just leave it alone and try both combinations of the two wires in question when I get the boat out on the lake. In the end your information was not helpful, do I still have to pay? Roger
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand, what part of my information was not helpful, I am trying to explain the proper way to do this so that it works correctly for you the first time. Do you want to do this the proper way or do you want to throw darts at it hoping you ix it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just responding to your original advertising that said if I wasn't satisfied would not have to pay.??
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You've already paid. All that happens now is the website hold your deposit but they will not credit me for spending time with you and helping you out.
I will opt out
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** shaft has a gear on the bottom end that meshes with a gear on the camshaft. This means that the distributor can be installed with the rotor pointing in any direction. The firing order remains the same 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, the distributor turns clockwise looking at it from above.Whatever post number one cylinder is connected to, the next one moving clockwise should be #8. If it isn't, then either #1 or #8 is on the wrong distributor cap post.You can work your way around the distributor cap, checking which cylinder each wire goes to and it should all work out.If they all seem wrong, you started with a wire that was on the wrong post already.If the engine seems to run good you have most of them right.Which cylinder numbers are you not sure about?