Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Js550 has no spark. Kill switch solenoid has no ohms untell

Customer Question

Js550 has no spark. Kill switch solenoid has no ohms untell hooked up to coil is that how it is spost to be
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Some things have low or zero resistance and with that would have no ohms meaning zero resistance, it's when open is shown that there is a problem. For instance since it is a kill switch one direction not engaged it should show little to 0 ohms, in the engaged direction showing open as infinite ohms as there is no connection between the two points of electrical contact. Now if you connected a coil in line this would then increase the resistance and thus now higher ohms vs zero ohms. That should answer your question however if you have other questions please feel free to let me know and I will be glad to help you.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.