K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

1999 Nissan 30hp outboard. Bendix and flywheel misaligned

Customer Question

1999 Nissan 30hp outboard. Bendix and flywheel misaligned and stuck in the up position. The starter button just clicks now, and I can't pull the cord. What caused this, and how can I fix it?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please respond quickly to my question about the 1999 Nissan outboard, either in writing or by calling me on the phone at(###) ###-####
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Kerry
This is often caused by a worn bendix, replace the bendix, problem solved, usually!
Sometimes the starter shaft wears to the point where even a new bendix doesn't work.
Check the bushings in the starter, inspect the starter shaft for wear.(the spiral splines)
If it looks okay, put on a new bendix and you should be back in operation.
Let me know if you still want to speak on the phone.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
How are you doing with this problem?