Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My jet ski won't turn over with plug in battery is new and…

Customer Question
My jet ski won't turn...
My jet ski won't turn over with plug in battery is new and test good?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/25/2015
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 3 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Hi and thank you for your question.If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you are saying it will spin over with the spark plugs out. If that is the case, there are a few scenarios that can create that symptom. I am working under the assumption that the engine spins over at a high rate of speed (normal) with the spark plugs out. If any of that is incorrect, please correct me before attempting the following tests.The first thing to do is a voltage drop test. This is done by holding the volt meter leads on the battery, getting a reading on the battery, then, while still holding the leads on the battery, crank it over and see what the volts drop down to.There is a possibility the ground wire has high resistance and causing the problem. The easiest way to test that is to use a jumper cable and connect it to the ground lead of the battery and go straight to the engine. No need to disconnect or remove the stock black cable, just add in the jumper. Hit the starter and see if it helps.You can also check for voltage at the starter relay. Ground your black meter lead, and put the red lead on the battery cable on the starter relay. If should read the same there as you get at the battery + terminal. Any drop in voltage through the cable indicates it has high resistance and needs to be replaced.IF you can get to the + terminal on your starter motor, you can do the jumper cable trick from the starter side (not the battery cable side) to the starter motor to test that cable.If none of those tests prove to help, then the starter motor is probably worn out or damaged, and will need to be replaced or repaired. They are not too technically challenging to repair, probably only needing new brushes and the commutator cleaned. If that turns out to be the culprit and you dont want to tackle that repair, there are some less expensive aftermarket replacement starters available out there.Let me know how that works for you.ThanksRSRBOB
Thanks for reply. I will go through these steps today.
Roger that. Let me know what you come up with.RSRBOB