Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 1971 50hp Johnson outboard that will not start. I

Customer Question

I have a 1971 50hp Johnson outboard that will not start. I have done the basics as far as battery, gas, etc. However, there is no fire at plugs. Looking for ideas.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
Unless you have a special peak reading voltmeter, you can't check for power, voltage.
Lets try this first.
Locate the powerpack. It has a cover and a bunch of wires going to it. Remove the cover. Locate the black wire with a yellow stripe. Remove it from the pack.Don't put it anywhere just let it hang loose.
Put a spark tester on the top cylinder. Crank the engine and check for spark on the spark tester.
If you now have spark then the problem is in the wiring harness, or key switch.
If still no spark on any cylinder then the stator or powerpack.
The powerpack is the most common problem. Check the stator, it is the ring of coils under the flywheel. If you see any gummy substance coming from the stator, dripping on the block, or cracks in the coil insulation, the stator will need replacing. Both the stator and pack commonly give problems.
Check these and let me know what you find and we can proceed from there.
Thanks