Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a Merc 50 outboard. Starts and idles okay. As I move…

Customer Question
I have a Merc 50...
I have a Merc 50 outboard. Starts and idles okay. As I move the throttle forward it starts to run rough and won,t go above 1,800 rpm. Check fuel by placing a gas can with fresh fuel on the motor, no change. Removed plugs and replaced again no change. Had spark checked good spark. Third time motor has been used, bought new 2010. No previous problems.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/21/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.Would you lease post the serial number of the engine?When was the last time that the engine ran correctly?
Hi Charles
Ran fine 10 days ago short run . trailer 200 Miles problem started as soon as it was on the water. Thanks for serving did 6 in the Navy. Disabled during Nam discharged. Thanks for your help. Serial number 1B713962
How is the engine to start? Is it hard?Was it sitting for a bit unused before the last outing?
Starts easy. Before running last time it was winterized for the winter. Had battery checked at it is good.Ran well didn't hesitate starts without choking bulb stays up.New gas ran for 10 minutes or more with new gas.
So for the most part it is good, just wont take off?
Yeah good till throttle is increased then misses and won't take off puts around just fine
Are you near the engine now and can do some looking at it?
Will head out. The lake I am at I can text but no cell talk or we could talk,sorry
At the motor
No worries. Remove the hood, then with helper, move the throttle handle up. Watch the throttle linkage. You should see two arms moving forward. One for throttle and the other for timing. Make sure that they will both reach their stops. Also look at the throttle roller on the enter carb. Make sure that it is moving all the way to the end of the cam for full throttle.
The top arm has a stop The bottom stops at idle. The forward platic disc toyates bit there is not a stop
Did the bottom arm not move FWD when you throttled up?
The stop is underneath and didn't see it before yes the bottom moved to that stop also working by flashlights
Ok so everything is moving as it should be. Did you run the engie today? If so can you remove the plugs and look at the tips to see if one is wetter than the others?
Ran today pulled the plugs and looked the same. Air dried and made no difference. All plugs looked the same
Have you tried to press the chock when trying to get the engine to take off?
Yes. Makes the engine choke down and smoke. Runs bough
Rough not buff
How about if you squeeze the primer bulb over and over, would that help the engine take off?
It is like the timing is not advancing. The primer bulb didn't make a difference
Is there a module that controls timing??
Are we at the point of taking it to a dealer?
It is mechanicalThere are still a few things that we can check, but you will need a few tools and to get the engine running.
Timing advance that it
Can,t do that here at the lake. Will need to call it a night, thanks
Your welcome. Let me know when you wish to continue and we can go from there.