Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2004 Seadoo RXP: The ski was running fine. I went through a…

Customer Question
2004 Seadoo RXP: The ski...
2004 Seadoo RXP: The ski was running fine. I went through a no wake zone, and got back up to speed following a boat. My RXP made a sound like it was running out of gas and died. The ski would not start after that. I would get the normal beep count and no error codes on the LCD. The ski will turn over, just not start.
On the trailer, the next day, it started and ran 1 time. Then started doing the same thing as the day before.
Here is what I have done:
*replaced the started solenoid: No change.
*unhooked fuel line: pumps as soon as key makes contact.
*removed injectors on fuel line: injectors spray 1 time as start button is pressed. This is where it got interesting. While I was holding the injectors about 1 inch above the cylinder I hit the start button and the ski cranked, but the RPMs when way up so I pulled the key.
I am stumped as to what to try next.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/21/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
What this sounds like you have is water getting into the cylinders. Do this test, remove the pugs and make sure that they are clean and dry. Hook water to the ski, start the ski and then turn on the water. Bring the RPM up some, then kill the water and the ski at the same time. You want to stop the ski when you still have the RPM up. This is a high speed shut down. Remove the plugs and see if they are now wet. If so, you have water. You would need to look at both the exhaust and the cylinder-head as to where the water is getting in.

No water in cylinders. Only gas. Seems almost like it doesn't have enough spark to ignite. maybe flooding the cylinders.

Changed spark plugs and coils. Still same issue.

With a multimeter check the voltage going to the coils. It will be AC volts, set the meter on a scale greater than 200V AC. Let me know what you find. This is a cranking test.