Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

1988 3.OL SEARAY RUNS GREAT -30 MINUTES THEN STARTS

Customer Question
1988 3.OL SEARAY RUNS GREAT...
1988 3.OL SEARAY RUNS GREAT FOR 20 -30 MINUTES THEN STARTS CUTTING OUT AND FINALLY DIES. WILL TURN OVER AND START BUT DIES AS SOON AS YOU ENGAGE THE ENGINE. AFTER 20 MINUTES IT WILL START BACK UP AND RUN GREAT FOR ANOTHER 20 TO 30 MINUTES. THEN DOES THE SAME THING CUTS OUT AND DIES. i HAVE SPARK AT THE COIL AFTER IT CUTS OUT. WHEN IT RUNS IT WILL PULL ME OUT OF THE WATER ON ONE SKI AND DO 35-40 MPH. i'VE TRIED TAKING THE GAS CAP OFF WHEN IT STARTS TO CUT OUT BUT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
ERIC
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/18/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is***** sounds like a fuel starvation issue. Do this get a can of gas and some fuel line. Run the boat till it acts up. Then disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump and connect the fuel hose and put the other end of the hose in the gas can. Start the boat and run it does the engine quit? If you have debris in the fuel tank it will take running the boat for awhile to clog the screen up on the end of the pick up tube in the fuel tank. Then when it sits the debris falls off the screen and you can run the boat again till it clogs again. I have seen this happen many times on older boats. The other test you can do is with a vacuum gauge and a brass tee and some clear fuel line tee the gauge in to the fuel supply line. Run the boat if the vacuum gauge exceeds more than 2" of vacuum you have a fuel restriction on the boat side fuel system. Do you follow these procedures?