Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2004 Tahoe Q4, Its been stored all season. The Trim…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Tahoe...
I have a 2004 Tahoe Q4, Its been stored all season. The Trim switch does not seem to work up or down. The motor starts fine and the batteries are charged
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/17/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** trim make any sound at all? Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?Were the batteries disconnected? Are you sure the trim cables are connected to the battery? The trim connects directly to the battery.
Trim makes no sounds what so ever (up or down). The batteries were not disconnected. I was lowered when I parked it and nothing was touched all winter. I do have a volt meter
Could I get the engine model and serial number please? We need to check for voltage at the trim pump solenoids. Check for voltage on the red power supply wire connected to the trim pump.
Engine is a Mercruiser 3.0 SN number is *****
Ok on the trim unit you will have to remove the cover to the trim solenoids. This is just a screw in the plastic cover. Then check for voltage on the red power supply E. http://i.imgur.com/MHBJ5UX.jpg Do you have voltage? If you have voltage check the fuse A. You could have the inline type fuse or this style here circled in red. http://i.imgur.com/T2vqIod.jpg
Had voltage 14V to terminal E. I check the fuse and it came apart in my hand. What size fuse was it?
The fuse is 20 amp. Post back if you still have an issue after replacing the fuse. Thank you.....Tan
Will replace it tomorrow and let you know how it goes
Ok Thank you.....Tan
Tan,The fuse allowed the trim to go up. I am not able to lower the trim down. Is there a way to test the solenoid to see if it is bad?
Yes check the bottom solenoid on the small green wire for voltage then the large green wire for voltage. The small green is coming from the trim switch which activated the solenoid sending voltage to the larger green wire.