Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Mercury Big Foot 2006 - 60HP Just started bogging down when giving full throttle, runs fi

Customer Question
Mercury Big Foot 2006 -...
Mercury Big Foot 2006 - 60HP
Just started bogging down when giving full throttle, runs fine at 42-48 RPMs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello have not been on here before is there anyone out there to help with our issue?
will chat online or phone
6/17/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Would you please post the serial number of the engine?
I do not have the serial number of the engine
2006 was a model change for the engine. Can you tell me how many wires are on the plug going to each coil?
Just a minute
Ok
he is not sure he was checking with someone who is helping us out to change the spark plugs
Mercury Bigfootits a Mercury Bigfoot EFI
That is fine. There are no time limits here.
would you rather chat my cell phone is(###) ###-####
I have submitted an offer for a phone call. My system automatically blocks out phone numbers. I cannot see yours.
we are not at the engine at this time
we will not be back down there for 2 weeks our question is with everything we have replaced what else could it be could it be a fuel injector
I can give you the part number of the stator we put on with that
That is fine. I can talk to you and give you ideas on what to try, and then you can call me back when you are at the engine. It is not a one time call.
okay you can go ahead and call us now if you like
That is what I was saying. I cannot see the number. If you accept the extra service, I will send you mine privately. This is an open forum and anyone can read this question with the right key words.
sorry I'm not accepting $30 for an extra phone call I just need an answer on what else to try
it bogs down when you give it full throttle it runs fine at 42 48
we have changed all of the gas filters spark plugs and a new thermostat
VSRwe also clean the VSR screen
Can you tell me how many RPM that you have lost from WOT?
what is WOT
wide open Throttle
when we get anything higher than 49 rpms it will run for about 3 or 4 minutes and then it starts to pull down and if we let it at the same throttle and it goes up and down and up and down like like the fuel flow is messed up
and it's only under wide open conditions
it runs all day long at a medium throttle
the only thing we have not tried is replacing fuel injectors when we bought the boat they replaced one
Do you know what color the fuel line going to the engine from the boat is?
Also I see hat you installed a new stator AND a flywheel. Why was that done?
because the magnets were bad on the flywheel and we were having an issue with voltage
the boat was running perfect when we pulled it out of the water last year this was when we put it in the beginning of this season after the flywheel and and skater were installed
we were told when you install a new thermostat that you do not have to reset the computer codes is that correct
Ok that makes sense. What about the fuel line?
how long did the boat sit?
it's getting fuel
we have three filters will replace all the filters on the motor its not afraid you'll filter issue or a flow it is getting plenty of fuel it just bogs down when we give it full throttle
we were told that the high pressure fuel filter could be it we replace that we were told it could also be the screen on the vsR we clean that out its still doing it
could it have to do with the fuel injectors at all
the motor has run beautiful up to this point we are at a loss
How is the fuel pressure from the VST when you are at full throttle, is it changing at all?
I the timing fluctuating?
What RPM is this happening to you?
Where was this filter that you replaced?
we replace all fuel filters every one that is on the motor when it starts to bog down it at least 5000 rpm and Max is at 56
Would it have anything to do with the prop having a nick out of it at high rpm and being and balance
what about the fuel injectors you never answered that question
There are only 2 fuel filters on the outside of the engine. There is also one inside the VST.
Dos he alarm work in the boat? Is it going off?
How much is the surge in RPM?
How is the oil level in the engine?
The prop nick would allow more RPM than allow it to run less.
The injectors, I dont feel that is the issue as the engine would idle rough as well. If the boat sat for close to a year, I would have them cleaned.
oil level is fine the vs are you are you talking there is another filter under the what is it called the high pressure fuel pump relay replaced the high pressure fuel filter as well as the regular fuel filterwe replace to internal fuel filters we have one external fuel filter all of them are flowing fine and clean we clean the screen under the high pressure fuel pump the vsr screen
could there be a fuel injector air leak
other than the high rpm running of the motor it sounds and Runs beautifulidols great you would never know that was the issue with the motor oil level is great
we take this boat in and out every year every 6 months never had this issue before other than that it was the thermostat and we check that and it was corroded so we did replace it
we are receiving no alarm sounds what so ever this is a computerized motor
This is the high pressure fuel filter.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/60%20EFI%20%284%20CYL.%29%284-STROKE%29/1C050252%20%26%20Up/Fuel%20Lines/parts.html
Part 17 is the filter inside the VST
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/60%20EFI%20%284%20CYL.%29%284-STROKE%29/1C050252%20%26%20Up/Vapor%20Separator/parts.html
Number 9 is the low pressure filter.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/60%20EFI%20%284%20CYL.%29%284-STROKE%29/1C050252%20%26%20Up/Fuel%20Pump/parts.html
You changed all of these?
Yes we checked with all the local marinas and they showed us all the filters we needed to replace
Alright,
Check the fuel and make sure that there is no water in it.
How did the tips of the old spark plugs look?
How long has the problem been happening?
this problem just started when we put the boat back in the water 2 months ago
we pull it out every year and maintain the oil change blah blah blah and this is when it started doing the issue with the bog down
You never did answer about the fuel line going to the engine from the boat. What color is it?
it is a grey fuel line
all of the color of the gas going through all the fuel lines is as it should be
Ok,
What I need you to do is to remove the end closest to the tank, then look inside the fuel line to see if it is coming apart.
thank you we will check that scenario when we get down back down to the boat
Sounds good. If that is not it, I will need the serial number from the engine to see what ignition system that you have.
will do we will check when we get back down there which will be next weekend
That is fine. There are no time limits here. Just let me know what you find.
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic