Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1996 mecury 60 hp 3 cylinder will only start when…

Customer Question
i have a 1996 mecury...
i have a 1996 mecury 60 hp 3 cylinder will only start when i flip the man over board switch up and down while turning the engine over it will always start but wont always idle
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/17/2015
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Would you please post the serial number of the engine?
0G186087
Thanks,
When you are starting the engine cold, how are you doing it?
i set in the seat left hand on the key right hand is flipping the man overboard up and down untill it fires up
i do push the choke for a second or 2
Ok,
Try this. Pump the primer bulb until firm, turn the key to ON, press in and hold for a count of three, then while still pressing in turn the key to start. The engine should start pretty easily if everything inside the carb is clean . You may need to advance the warm up lever on the throttle to help it warm up.
it will run my problem is the fact that i have to flip the kill switch off and on to get it to have fire to the sparkplugs its not a fuel problem its a electrical problem of some sort
it will run fine for undetermined amout of time might be 20 minutes might be 3 hours might be 30 seconds but it always loses spark
cdi is good voltage regulator is good
Have you tried to bypass the kill switch?
yes i have bypassed the kill switch i actually disconnected it right out of the switch box still nothing so i put a jumper wire on the black yellow wire right out of the switch box and had my son turn the engine over still nothing so why he was turning it over i tapped the jumper wire intermittenly against the ground bolt and it starts just like i was flipping the kill switch up and down
Is there a history on the engine and the control box? Have you done anything recently?
nope it ran fine b4 it has compression on all cylinders if you take sparkplugs out and turn it over it all plugs spark put them back in still wont start with out flipping switch off and on
I it this way when the engine is warm as well?
yes it doesnt matter sometimes it does it when engine is warm sometimes when its cold sometimes not at all
Intermittent problems are the hardest to locate.
Do you have a good quality digital multimeter?
yes a decent one
Ok,
On the engine, locate the blue and the blue white leads going to the switchbox. Unplug them. Test the AC voltage from one blue to ground while cranking the engine. Then test the other. Let me know what you find.
i have one it just doesnt make sense if i take plugs out and the have spark unless stator is weak
That is what the testing is for. We will find the weak part.
i found blue one it had 83 volts did not find blue with white it had a red one it had 34 volts
That was disconnected?
Try removing the spark plugs and run that test again.
Ok I will do it first thing in the morning it's pooring here and I am wore out been up since 5 this morning
Yes I disconnected both those wires when checking voltages
Sounds good. I have surgery on my knee tomorrow around noon. I will try and log on in the eve if I am not too loopy.