Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I hit an unmarked obstruction and wiped out the skeg, prop

Customer Question

I hit an unmarked obstruction and wiped out the skeg, prop and bent the prop shaft. All that has been fixed but now I have steering creep. Is this cylinder or helm hydraulic problem? 150 hp Yamaha.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Unfortunately it could be both, and there isn't any kind of test in order to figure out which it is other than doing some listening and feeling. If you feel, and listen with a stethoscope and feel or hear any bumping or clicking in the helm then the helm would be bad. But if you don't hear anything that doesn't mean the helm is necessarily good either. But at the same time.... when this happens odds are 75% that the problem is in the steering cylinder over the helm unit. When outboards get jerked quickly that can damage the piston orings inside the cylinder. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it certainly got jerked quickly. Thanks.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome and I was glad I could help. There is a company in Florida that does repair the units if you want to send it out. Click this link below, this is their website
http://www.boatsteeringrebuilders.com/
If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason