Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

My Mercury outboard seems to be starved or air. It

Customer Question
My Mercury outboard seems to...
My Mercury outboard seems to be starved for gas or air. It doesn't seem to want to idle. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
6/16/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number please.
What makes you say it's starved for air? Does it run better with the engine cover off?
When was the last time the engine did idle? Was it sitting for a long time?
Keith is my name.I do not have the serial number with me. The motor is located at my camp. The engine idled until I disconnected the gas tank filled it and reconnected. Hard to start at the beginning of the season
Hi Keith, not that this matters to much, but is this a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
4 stroke
Got it. In a nutshell if it's not idling the idle circuit inside of the carb that flows fuel into the engine for idle speeds is clogged it. The carb would have to come off and be rebuilt. The reason I asked on the 2 vs 4 stroke is because on the 2 strokes you can usually get them cleaned by had. But on the 4 strokes the passageways are just to small and they have to go in an ultrasonic machine in order to get them clean. Does that all make sense?
I don't know how you want to leave this. But that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be done. I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it? -Jason
So the only thing I can do is take it off and have the carb rebuilt. Is there any spray or something I can add to clean the carb out?
The passageways that clog are internal to the carb, not external. So there is nothing really to spray when the carb is installed on the engine. It has to come off and come apart in order to clean it, as it has to be cleaned from the inside out, and not the outside in. The other part of this is if you have any knowledge of a carburetor at all i'm sure you have heard the term "idle mixture screws". Since the early 2000's the EPA has mandated that anti-tamper caps that go over those idle mixture screws. So part of cleaning the carb, and cleaning the idle circuit, is drilling out that anti-tamper cap and then removing the screw behind it. And that definitely can not be done with the carb still mounted to the engine. Does that help better explain it?
If I removed the carb can I do anything with it?
I really can't answer that, I don't know what you have tools, skills, or ability. Or if you have ever been to any kind of tech school, or ever rebuilt a carb on anything. I have a degree in marine technology and just to give you an idea as part of that degree I did something like 8 straight weeks sitting in a classroom 7 hours a day doing nothing but carb after carb after carb.... and since then I have also more class's/seminars on carbs. When you open them up and actually get into them, they are fairly intricate.
I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating.
Thanks,
Jason
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic