Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

This boat is a 16.5 ft. 2005 Targa...I am having trouble

Customer Question

This boat is a 16.5 ft. 2005 Targa...
I am having trouble with the aerator motor continually running no matter the position of the three position switch (Manual-Off-Auto). I have replaced the switch and pump still continues to run. Is it possible that the pump is shorted internally to cause this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** if the pump is computerized. The easiest way to find out is to pull the wires off the switch. The center wire on the switch is power supply to the switch. Pull that wire the pump should quit running.If the pump has a timer it can short causing the pump to run. If pump quits running then reconnect wire and disconnect one of the other 2 wires which one makes the pump turn off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I could not determine center wire but now I cannot get the switch to operate at all.Maybe I have it wired wrong.The switch actually has 7 terminals. Looking at the back side of the switch, there are 4 terminals on the left side and 3 on the right.Is this the wiring sequence :
LEFT SIDE
Bottom terminal, red wires
Second terminal, Orange wires
Third terminal, Brown and green
Top terminal , BlackRIGHT SIDEbottom terminal , single red wiresecond terminal, single orange wire
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I can't help with that switch wiring as I don't have a wiring schematic. I will opt out. With that many terminals it can be wired many different ways. 6 terminals are for power to the components and one is a ground for the light in the switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome. Thank you..........Tan