How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask K. Kergan Your Own Question
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 1031
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
Type Your Boat Question Here...
K. Kergan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Morning, I am changing the sending switch and gauge on my 3208

Customer Question

Morning, I am changing the sending switch and gauge on my 3208 engine. The replacements were purchased from a Cat dealer. The original sending unit was a single wire unit the new one has two connections. The Cat part #'s are Sender unit #7E-4275 and the matching Gauge # ***** ***** I need to know how to rewire these unit. Thank Tom
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Kerry
If it's a switch and it only has one wire, it closes to engine ground.
If it's a switch and has two connections it closes between the two connections.
You can hook the wire to one terminal and run a wire from the other terminal to engine ground, anywhere convenient.
The same is true for a guage sender, if the original only has one wire, you can connect that wire to the sender and put the other sender terminal to ground.