Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2014 300 Verado its on a 25' Bennington pontoon, has

Customer Question

I have a 2014 300 Verado its on a 25' Bennington pontoon, has 20.7 hrs on it, never had a problem! But today took it out, batteries were fully charged, backed it in the lake and it started instantly. Let in idle for 10 mins while waiting for my son. We headed across the lake maybe 3 miles turning about 4000 rpm, found a place to stop and let the kids swim, turned the motor off after 10 mins decided to try a different spot. Turned the key, got the beep and the motor wouldn't turn over, the safety switch was fine and made certain it was in neutral. Make several attempts and nothing, it acted just like the shifter was not in neutral, all the smart gauges showed "all ok" no codes, nothing indicated a problem, it nerve attempted to turn over, again the shifter was in neutral, the safety switch was on and the batteries showed 13.9 volts
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

Were you using the key to start or the push button?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried both several times
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Did you happen to notice the oil pressure while you idled the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No but no alerts or warnings and the smart craft gauges checked engine ok
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
So all that you had was the one beep, and the engine would not turn over?

Did you hear the starter engage the flywheel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I couldn't really hear much, you could hear a click but that's all, the engine water temp showed on the smart gauge 165
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Ok,
What I am going to need you to do is to remove the upper cowl, then the flywheel cover. press down of the flywheel and try to turn it in either direction. Lets just see if the engine will move at all.

Is there a primer bulb in your fuel line, and if so, do you use it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We tried to move the fly wheel with the cover off and you can move it slightly and you can tell the motor is not seized up, Verados don't have primer bulbs
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
I do know that the Verado is supposed to not have a primer bulb, but I do see allot of them that do.
Can you try the starter with the cover off the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still nothing, it acts like the is a master switch/relay that's over or tripped but I can find one, while I had the cover off I found some fuses but they were all fine
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Ok,
The Verado has several relays on it. One of them is the main power relay. It could have failed. It is the one with all red wires in the back of it. You can swap it with a trim relay. they are all the same relay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the main relay for only starting and running the motor?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
No it controls everything on the engine. There is also a start relay. It will have a yellow/red wire on the back side of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no way I can check the relays
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Really only by swapping them. That is what I would do in the shop. You are also still under the factory warranty. Is there a dealer near you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No dealer close, that's my challenge, I was wondering if there was some common problem
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing that I know of. I work at a full line dealership during the day. I only work on outboards, and I have all of the service bulletins. I cannot think of one that would cause this on your engine. That is why I am saying to swap the relays.

You can use the trim relays, they have a blue and a green wire on the back of them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm almost certain it's a relay type problem
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
You have 5 total. 2 for trim, one main power, one for start, and one for fuel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where are they located, are they the same so I can put the trim relay on the the starter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll give it a try
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I talked to Mercury today and they think it's the relay
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
LOL, did you try and swap them out today?
We figured out that it was more than likely a relay last night.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The starter was out!! It's freak because no hint of a problem, just one min it worked and the nexted it didnt
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
That is a really strange one. I have never had a Verado starter fail.