Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I had the intermittent beep happen checked the oil reservoir…

Customer Question
I had the intermittent beep...
I had the intermittent beep happen checked the oil reservoir on the motor. unscrewed it a couple times and put it back on but motor wouldn't start and it kept beeping. tried it again and it started but kept beeping. I did notice it would overflow when cap was off so I'm assuming the oil pump is working. When I got back to the dock I unscrewed the cap and took some kinks out of it becuse when it was beeping I could get it to stop by moving the wire a bit on top of the cap. That took care of the propblem the beeping stopped. I did notice a bit of the one wire was exposed so I taped it. When it would not start is this a feature of the beeping that would just make the motor crank but not spark? I also noticed on one of the yellow wires at the clear area is dark brown unlike the other areas that have this clear area. Is this a fuse or just where the wires connect? This is a 200hp 1999 two stoke long shaft. It does not have the efi. The motor starts now and seems to run well but doesn't seem to idle quite as smooth as it had been. Could this yellow wire be causing any of this? What do I need to fix this part of the wire.Is it just a connector or a fuse?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/14/2015
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** wire is part of the charging system. If the wire is just discolored where it connects that is just color. The yellow wires are not a fuse they are coming from the stator. If you have an issue with charging it will not charger the battery. None of this will affect how the engine runs. To check that the engine is charging correctly check battery voltage before you start the enfgine. What does it read? Then check battery voltage when engine is running at about 1500 rpms. What is the battery voltage? As for the idle issue we can only check spark and carb adjustment if applicable on this engine. I will need the engine serial number please. Have you changed the spark plugs?
H I Tan, serial #0G8252222. The connector is burnt. I just checked it. It apperently got that hot that when I tried to pull it apart it broke. What would cause it to get that hot
Voltage regulator over heating. What causes most voltage regulator failures are loose or corroded battery cable connections. If you have wing nuts on the battery terminal connection you need to discard them and replace them with lock washer and nuts. # ***** is the voltage regulator. Is this what the yellow wire is connected you are referring to?http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/V-200/0G760300%20THRU%200G960499/IGNITION%20COIL-VOLTAGE%20REGULATOR/parts.html
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Yep that is the voltage regulator connection. Your engine will not charge the battery now. Your tach may have started acting up also or even quit. We need to check the stator to be sure it is ok. If it checks good then the voltage regulator has to be replaced. Do you have wing nuts on the battery cable connections?