Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Oil horn came on. Filled it up and now wont start back. Turned

Customer Question

oil horn came on. Filled it up and now wont start back. Turned it off as soon as the horn came on. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine serial number please?Does the engine just no start or doesn't turn the flywheel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dont know the serial number. No start at all. Like the starter is not turning over the engine.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok will the engine make any sound? Have you checked your battery cable connections to be sure they are tight? Is this a 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's a 2 stroke and yes juice is good. It's like it's by passed the starter. Zing sound
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Started and ran fine until oil horn went off. Turned motor off immediately and checked oil. Filled it up and horn comes on when turn the switch on.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Zing sound is low voltage or the starter drive is dry. Spray the gear ontop of the starter with some WD40 try it does the starter engage? Do you have a volt meter to do some checking of voltage? Now have you verified the cables are tight they can work loose if you are using wing nuts on the cables at the battery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Engine is in great shape, look after it well. Had power to raise motor up and down and check the engine. Power on console, been running fine until this happened. Dont have a volt meter. Batteries are new.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a cranking battery and a deep cycle for lights connected to purgo switch
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Did you try spraying the starter drive with wd40. Ok disconnect the battery cable lead from the solenoid and connect it directly to the starter terminal that runs from the solenoid. Does the engine crank? The oil alarm has nothing to do with the motor cranking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Motor/pontoon is stored, was fishing last night and this morning. Happened this morning, I live approx 2 hrs away. I will try this when I go back. Why would the oil horn continue to sound when try to crank?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Get the engine serial number also. The serial number will be in this location. http://www.boats.net/content/skins/flat/images/mercury_serial_number.jpg A bad sensor in the oil tank or the temp sensor is shorted. Post back with findings. Be sure you battery cable are tight.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** this.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok keep me posted. Thank you.