Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 6 hp Johson outboard built in 1999. Runs great but…

Customer Question
I have a 6 hp...
I have a 6 hp Johson outboard built in 1999. Runs great but will not lock into recerse and kicks up when trying to bak up....how do I fix?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/14/2015
Marine Mechanic: Noel Schembri, Marine Technician replied 3 years ago
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First thing to check is if the lock is jammed. If it is it will not go down during reverse. Try to spray WD40 and work it up and down against the spring. This should solve the problem. If the lock is free then the problem is the plastic bar setting that would need to push against the lock when in free or forward and let the lock go when in reverse. So what you would need to do is to set it until it is working properly.
If you require further assistance let me know,
Noel