Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I'm thinking about buying a 99 seadoo gsx 781cc 2stroke, I'm…

Customer Question
I'm thinking about buying a...
I'm thinking about buying a 99 seadoo gsx 781cc 2stroke, I'm new to jet skis, what do I need to look out for, he's stated in the advert fresh water use only
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
Also states that the engine was rebuilt 2 years ago
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2015
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 3 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Hi and thank you for your question.
Things to look at when you are buying a used watercraft.
1. Has it been in salt water? Look for signs of corrosion.
2. Does it run, correctly? Easy start up, smooth idle, quick acceleration?
3. Any fiberglass damage/repairs?
4. Jet pump inspection. Does the prop and pump assembly appear to be in good condition? No signs of corrosion or damage from rocks going through the pump?
5.Where was it stored, inside? Outside? In the water? In the sun? Covered? Uncovered?
6.Condition of electrics. Does everything work electrically, gauges and controls?
7. Condition of control cables. Throttle, steering, reverse, choke?
8. Maintenance records?
9. Compression test. Check it for yourself or you have it checked. Make sure it is consistent front cylinder to rear cylinder and in spec.
Those are some basic generic points to look over to give you an idea of the condition of the ski.
Now, the single best piece of advice, do not but a Sea Doo from the 1990's. They were plagued with lack of durability issues (broke often). It doesn't matter what the model is, the only reliable aspect of it was it would break, just a question of when. The failures were disproportionately high compared to the failures of Yamaha's and Kawasaki's of the same era.
Remember that what may appear to be a good deal up front can go sour in a hurry if you end up facing an enormous repair expense. It can be like throwing the initial purchase price down the drain. Even back in the 90's, dual line Sea Doo Yamaha dealers would not trade a Sea Doo in because they could not sell used ones. New ones sold because they were the fastest skis on the water. They were also often the fastest skis on the trailers too. Another dealer I know used to stock engines by the dozens due to the demand for replacing blown engines.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks, Customer
I would definitely take the Kawasaki over the Sea Doo. The only potential weak point of the Kawasaki is the electric trim. If you are getting a good deal and it works now, you should be ok. :)
Compression on this ski should be about 110 psi in each cylinder. Make sure the oil injection system (stock) is there and in tact. Customer