Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Okay I have a 1998 evinrude 115 slp its runs awesome but the…

Customer Question
Okay I have a 1998...
Okay I have a 1998 evinrude 115 slp its runs awesome but the electric trim motor bunt out so I went out to buy a new one, I installed it and the relays just click when pushing the trim up or down, when pushing the buttons the motor kicked in for about
3 seconds and then off again, I used a electrical test light and it has electricity all the way to the relays, the red power cords that run to the relays have power but the blue wire and the green wire that runs to the motor have no power for some reason I
checked the fuse and it worked, the relays are new, I checked the ground and clean it off, there is a small white wire running from the box where the relays are that looks to be grounded that is cut but I don't know if that has anything to do with it, I just
don't know how to figure out why there's no electricity come out of the relays! Please help! The boat is a 1989 18ft sea pro center console by the way
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Boat
6/12/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Will the trim motor run correctly if you jump it straight to a battery?
How's it going Jason my name is ***** ***** yes it will run from just the battery
Hey Jimmy. Now if you hit the trim up and trim down buttons, do you hear the up and down relays click each time?
Yes they do click
Gotcha. In a nutshell there is either corrosion or a broken wire in the relay bracket assembly. Click this link, this is the bracket assembly.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1998/E115SXECM/POWER%20TRIM-TILT%20ELECTRICAL/parts.html
That's what it looks like. What you have to do is take that apart and look for broken wires and look for corrosion, especially on the back side of the relay bracket, where the relays lug in. Does that make sense?
The diagram I gave you was for a 1998 Evinrude 115, which is what you told me you have. Lets start over, what is the actual model number on your engine, that way I can tell exactly what the year of it is.
Xe115hlecm
Okay got it. That one there isn't as common as the other 115's, and when I gave you the last picture I went with the common one.
Click this link, this is what you got - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1998/XE115HLECM/POWER%20TRIM-TILT%20ELECTRICAL/parts.html
Those relays are supposed to be in sockets and it looks like somebody cut the socket out and hardwired the relays. Do you have a voltmeter or just a test light?
Have you replaced the relays yet?
Yea I cut the sockets off because they were melted and yes I have a test light there is power going into the relays but there's no power going out to the trim motor, and yea I bought a pair that were used from a marine store
A pair of used relays?
Yea they said they were totally fine is there a possibility that the relays out going terminals could be bad
Testing with a test light is tough because the light will come on with 7 volts, making you think you have power, but the system actually needs 12v to work. What you want to do is check the power on the input side of the relay and the output side. And you want to check voltages with the relay activated, so get a helper to hit the buttons for you. What you want to do is check power on the input side of the relay, your light should shine bright. Have a helper hit the trim button to activate the relay. If the light goes dim there is a problem with where the relay is getting power from. If the light stays bright, move to the output side of the relay (your blue and green wires). If you get no power out of the relay, or the light is dim, the relays would be confirmed bad at this point. Does that make sense?
Yes it does thank you
But would that make sense why the relays kicked the trim motor on for about 3 seconds then shut back off
It does. Relays have internal copper contacts that open and close each time relay activates (clicks). Over time the contacts burn out. When that happens it creates and intermittent connection across the contacts, and then they eventually stop working all together.
Okay so your thinking its my relays 100%
No not necessarily, I did say to check power on the input side of the relays with the relay activated first. Only if that looks good would you replace the relays. Also make sure all of your connections are good clean and tight.
I did there is power going to the relays
What I would do next is replace both relays. You don't have to get them from Evinrude. It you can get to a Napa auto parts store what you can get are 2 standard Bosch 40 amp relays. If they have the little ear on them you can just spin those off.
I just got new ones and it is still clicking, this site says a phone cal or video call is possible its just up to you, I think it would be easier and faster if I could just speak on the phone with you
I do offer phone calls but the website does charge extra for them
(30$) What I will do is send the payment information over to your email. If you would like the phone call, you can accept that offer, if you prefer to continue online, you can decline/ignore it. I'll send it to your email now.