Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2004 Stingray 185 LS with a 135hp Volvo Penta 3.0clp-c

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Stingray 185 LS with a 135hp Volvo Penta 3.0clp-c 4 cylinder engine. The problem I’m having is that when I go hard from an idle to WOT then engine bog and will actually die if don’t pull back on the throttle. If I take the rpms up just a little before going full throttle it works fine. I wasn’t having this problem until I took the boat in for the replacement of the leaking power steering fluid cooler. The shop says it has nothing to do with them and the cooler replacement but as I said it was working fine before I took it in. The idle rpms under load are around 900.
I’ve adjusted the acceleration pump per Holley’s video with no improvement. There are two strong fuel steams from the accelerator pump when I activate the pump lever. One thing I’ve noticed is that if I just very lightly touch the accelerator pump lever is squirts gas down the carb throat and then engine begins to stall and then recover.
I’ve cleaned the distributor cap and rotor and gapped the spark plugs to the specified .045” (two of them were way out), but still no improvement. I use Stabilizer in the gas and never let the tank level go down below 2/3rds of a tank.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Before the carb is touched the first things that should be checked are compression and ignition timing. If there is a problem with either one that will cause issues that make it look like it's a carburetion problem, when it really isn't. Do you have the ability/tools to check those?
Also, the idle speed is a little high, has it ever idled lower than that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was looking for an actual answer to my problem, not being told to run a bunch of tests. It doesn't appear you know that actual solution so I'm not satisfied with your answer and am not pleased I paid $26 to to be told to run a some tests.